Conference Title: Child Sexual Abuse within Families: Improving our response, and working towards prevention
Date and Time: Thursday 6th June 2019 09:30 – 16:30
Venue: M Shed, Princes Wharf, Wapping Road, Bristol, BS1 4RN
Cost: £90 per person (no funded places)
Why attend this conference?
In 2017/18 Childline provided over 12,000 counselling session to young people in relation to their experience of sexual abuse. In 2015 work undertaken by The Office of the Children’s Commissioner found that only 1 in 8 sexual offences against children come to the attention of the police or local authority.
If you work with children and young people then you will have contact with children who have experienced sexual abuse during your career.
- What can we do to reduce the number of children being sexually abused?
- How do we support families where the child has been sexually harmed by a sibling?
- What can we do to ensure that when children do tell someone, they receive the best possible, holistic, service and care?
- If someone has viewed indecent images of children, how do we assess the risk of harm to their own, or other people’s children?
- When a child does tell us they have been abused, they might not be ready to engage in therapy straight away, or may have to wait for a service to be available. What can we do to support children and help them to feel safe until they are able to access specialist services?
- What services are available in Bristol to support families who experience sexual abuse of children?
The BSCB 2019 Annual Conference offers an opportunity to explore these questions, with the benefit of expert speakers across a range of areas. Book your place and join us in finding answers to an area of work that affects thousands of families every year.