All child safeguarding concerns should be raised through First Response at

Report a concern

If you have any concerns about a child please do not ignore them.

If the child is at immediate risk call the Police on 999. If there is no immediate risk but you still need help, call 101.


If you’re concerned that a child (under 18) is at risk of being abused or neglected contact the First Response Team on 0117 903 6444.

Outside of working hours call the Emergency Duty Team on 01454 615 165.

First Response will only receive information regarding children based within the Bristol local authority area. Use this tool to ensure that you are contacting the correct local authority.


Information on how Children's Services can help

Information about First Response

Support and advice

A list of support and advice services available for young people can be found here.

For professionals working with children

Anyone who works with children has a role in safeguarding and child protection.

Fill in the First Response Online Referral if you’re concerned about a child.

Other numbers you can call:

  • NSPCC 24 hour Helpline: 0800 800 5000 (free from a landline)
  • NSPCC Asian Languages Helpline: 0808 800 5000 (free from a landline)
  • NSPCC Text helpline: 88858 (service is free and anonymous)
  • Police: 101 (non-emergency calls)

Concerns about an adult working with children

If you have any concerns about an adult who works with children, contact the Local Authority Designated Officer, Nicola Laird, on 0117 903 7795. Guidance on how to manage concerns can be found here.

Ofsted Whistleblower hotline

If you are concerned about the safeguarding practices and procedures of professionals / volunteers working with children you should follow the complaints policy of the organisation you are working with in the first instance.

For professionals within an organisation you should first read your employer’s whistleblowing policy and then raise your concerns with your employer. If your employer does not have a whistleblowing policy, or if you are still not sure how to raise your concerns with your employer or someone else, it is suggested that you first get free, confidential advice from the independent whistleblowing charity Public Concern at Work ; they can help you to decide whether and/or how to raise your concern.

You can call on 020 7404 6609 or email 

For further information, go to the Public Concern at Work website  which includes guidance on whistleblowing legislation.

If it is not possible to reach a satisfactory conclusion with the above processes you may wish to consider contacting Ofsted.

You can contact the Ofsted hotline in three ways.

  • Call on 0300 123 3155 (Monday to Friday from 8.00am to 6.00pm).
  • Email at 
  • Write: WBHL, Ofsted, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester M1 2WD

Our Partners:

Bristol City Council
Avon & Somerset Police